Followers

Labels

Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Imperialist Bastard XI: Arterial

Arterial

Early Chinese
--The Muse Among the Motors (1900-1930)


                           I

Frost upon small rain--the ebony-lacquered avenue
Reflecting lamps as a pool shows goldfish.
The sight suddenly emptied out of the young man's eyes
Entering upon it sideways.

II

In youth, by hazard, I killed an old man.
In age I maimed a little child.
Dead leaves under foot reproach not:
But the lop-sided cherry-branch--whenever the sun rises,
How black a shadow!



The subtitle "Early Chinese" makes sense, here. This feels sort of zen. Almost, but not quite, haiku-ish.

Which isn't Chinese, it's Japanese. Still, at the turn of the century, many people weren't making that distinction.

Anyhow, I like this.

Also, I find it funny that a road named after Kipling (Kipling Avenue in Toronto) is considered an Arterial road.

Just sayin'.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Yo! Be honest, folks.